Calling All Super-Readers
Months ago I asked Olivia what she wanted to be for Halloween. She's just getting into the pretending stage so after explaining Halloween to her she was all for it. She loves the PBS show Super Why and that's what she wanted to be, even more than her beloved Daniel Tiger! It was perfect since there are 4 main characters and 4 of us.
Super Why!
By far the hardest costume. And by hardest I mean it took the longest to put together. I found this cute green skirt during the summer and thought it would help make her look a little more feminine since she was, after all, playing a boy. The mask I found at Walmart, the shoes at D.I. and the cape is just an Ikea bib turned backwards with the arms tucked away and pinned. But the green shirt and pants were nearly impossible to find. I couldn't find anything green in the boys section without having Ninja Turtles all over them. I couldn't even find anything that could be turned inside out. At the last minute I found the pants at D.I. and the shirt at Walmart. I hack-sewed (new term I learned from my Sis-in-law:) the pants using some of Olivia's leggings as a pattern, so they were less baggy and more super-hero-esque. The shirt was a size too big and being a boy shirt it was even baggier on my petite little girl so I turned it inside out and pinned the entire thing, including arms, about an inch on each side. Then I printed the logo on card stock and we were in business.
Princess Presto
Easy peasy compared to the others. I found the pink princess dress at Kid 2 Kid. It's a 4T so it needed to be taken in about a foot all around and pinned, but it's supposed to be billowy, right? The wand and crown were purchased at Smith's and her cape is also a bib turned backwards.
Easy peasy compared to the others. I found the pink princess dress at Kid 2 Kid. It's a 4T so it needed to be taken in about a foot all around and pinned, but it's supposed to be billowy, right? The wand and crown were purchased at Smith's and her cape is also a bib turned backwards.
Wonder Red
I stumbled across the bright purple spandex at D.I. early on. I hadn't put anything else together yet but I had never worn bright purple spandex before so I knew I just had to have them! Ha! Everything else sort of fell into place. I had the purple shirt(s) and red and white striped socks and found everything else over many trips to the D.I. I found a great red shirt with a hood and I simply cut it apart so it had the hood and back, which was the cape. And some poor soul actually threw out these great purple sneakers. I wanted to borrow gear from someone who does roller-derby but knew that probably wasn't going to happen. It's not like I was going to wear roller skates all over the neighborhood anyway. I wouldn't have made it all over the neighborhood! But these shoes did the job just fine. They were a half size too small but my feet survived. The only thing I forgot to wear was the purple beret I borrowed from my sister. It looked a lot like the helmet Red wears. But in the hussle to get out the door I left it on the kitchen table.
I stumbled across the bright purple spandex at D.I. early on. I hadn't put anything else together yet but I had never worn bright purple spandex before so I knew I just had to have them! Ha! Everything else sort of fell into place. I had the purple shirt(s) and red and white striped socks and found everything else over many trips to the D.I. I found a great red shirt with a hood and I simply cut it apart so it had the hood and back, which was the cape. And some poor soul actually threw out these great purple sneakers. I wanted to borrow gear from someone who does roller-derby but knew that probably wasn't going to happen. It's not like I was going to wear roller skates all over the neighborhood anyway. I wouldn't have made it all over the neighborhood! But these shoes did the job just fine. They were a half size too small but my feet survived. The only thing I forgot to wear was the purple beret I borrowed from my sister. It looked a lot like the helmet Red wears. But in the hussle to get out the door I left it on the kitchen table.
Alpha Pig
Richard already had the tool belt, glasses, boots, shorts and gray undershirt. And Richard's sister gave us the tool box and play tools a year or so ago that were just perfect. I found the shirt at D.I. and he wore it inside out. The cape is from D.I. as well. And the construction hat and pig nose are from Zurcher's.
This is the first year we've gone to more than just a handful of houses. We had so much fun walking around seeing friends in their costumes, visiting with neighbors and getting gobs of candy.
When it was nearly dark we hopped in the car and drove across town to Grandma and Grandpa's. We went trick-or-treating to a few more houses with them.
It was a great night! Happy Halloween!!
.jpg)
.jpg)




Comments
Post a Comment