Remember Him

Shortly after Alvin was born I got a phone call from a woman in our ward who was helping with the ward Christmas program. She asked me if Richard and I would play Joseph and Mary and then Alvin could be baby Jesus. Several people on the committee (do they have those anymore?) had thought of me since I had just had a baby and a baby boy, no less and thought I would do a good job. I had seen what I thought she had mind and readily agreed. Then she said that I would need to memorize the part. I gulped. What? What part?I thought we were just going to be sort of a silhouette on stage and as it turned out that's what they needed Richard and Alvin for but I would need to learn two monologues. More hesitantly I agreed, again. I spent a week or so going over my part and trying to internalize the words that had been written for me. It was a beautiful look into what Mary might have been thinking when she held her son for the first time and how she might have felt when realization dawned on her that her son belonged to all  of mankind. 


  The committee outdid themselves. I hope I am never in charge of the same program in the future because it would be a hard act to follow. The tables and decorations surrounding the room were stunning. There was a delicious dinner beforehand and while everyone was eating dessert Richard and I got changed and then placed ourselves in the stable. There were others in the program, a grandpa reading to children, a soldier sharing about the Christmas truce, and several beautiful solos. It all tied together about the importance of being still, believing and remembering Him.


My parents came to help watch the girls and it was so fun to have them there.

  
We only had one rehearsal the night before and that was more for a sound check. Yes those who were speaking wore body mics. New experiences all the time. Alvin cried through the whole monologue where I'm holding him and talking to him. So we had a doll dressed and ready to go just in case. I didn't mind using the doll but I knew it would look so much more authentic and I would be so much more comfortable if I could hold my own baby. So we prayed.

Well, prayers are answered. He fussed right up until we went on. Actually he was still fussing even on stage. I kept an eye on my mom so I could give her the signal to have her come get him we needed to. Richard held him during my first lines and was able to rock him to sleep. Then he passed Alvin to me. He woke up a little but I was able to rock him back while others were doing their parts. Then I held him and did my last monologue and it was over. Such a tender mercy and a tender experience.


The girls have been obsessed with Mary and baby Jesus since I've been practicing and Eloise asks to be married (Mary) at least once a day (meaning she wants you to place her blanket on her head and tie it around).



It was wonderful to start the season this way and was a great experience for all of us. I especially loved the time I had getting to know the mother of Jesus a little better and gaining a greater respect and love for her.

Comments