Landscaping Part I

Part I: Rock Removal

I've wanted to remove this lava rock since the day we moved in. I don't have anything against lava rock, per se. In small amounts, used in logical spaces, it's fine. But when it's used as the sole landscaping and put in every nook and cranny, then I have a problem with it. For two years I've been yearning to dig in the dirt and work in the yard but when all you have is ugly red rock staring you in the face, it's not very inviting or appealing. I won't even mention all the gloves I've ruined trying to weed.








That's a lotta lava! Am I right!? 4 1/2 truckloads to the green waste dump, not to mention countless wheel barrow and shovels-full later and ALL of the rock has been removed! I'm sure this was expensive and I felt kind of bad throwing it all away. Part of me thought we should have given it to someone, but then I would look close and remember how old and faded it was and crushed to powder in some places.




Third time's the charm or was this the fourth? It took us a few different designs before we engineered a working ramp. Finally this one worked.


Such a hard little worker!









It was one of the happiest days when we started clearing the rock and I could see the dirt beneath and I wanted to cry for joy when the last wheel barrow load was taken to the truck. 











Comments