Christmas Traditions


 On Christmas Eve we were at my parents house for our traditional Night in Bethlehem dinner.

The kids played while the adults prepared the meal.



Kids bring out the best in you. Dancing never was a part of our tradition but I think it's a good addition.


Dad read the account in Luke of the birth of the Savior while the kids put the nativity together.



Then we ate the meal. So simple but so good!


On Christmas morning we woke up to squeals and happy chatter from two excited little girls.
Probably the best sound in the world! Don't they look cozy?


Olivia wasn't into opening presents much last year or this year either.
But here she is opening her first present with Poppy.


Another tradition we have is to assign an elf to pass out presents. My sister Kate found this great hat at a dollar store and made an excellent elf!







Sleep is a little more important these days and Eloise didn't get in on opening presents until it was basically over. But once she came out to play she got spoiled plenty with cuddles and hugs from everyone including her new giant monkey.



Another tradition and all time favorite at Christmas is the biscuits and gravy for breakfast!


After breakfast we headed back to Brigham City to get together with the Lemon family.

One tradition that I love at the Lemon household that doesn't happen just at Christmas time, is that there is always a project underway. This year Grandma and Grandpa had prepared recipe books for each grandchild. But we were able to help put them together by pulling off the printed recipe labels and sticking them in the right category. These recipe books will be great to use here at home and for the girls to take with them when they leave home.





Another tradition we love is just spending time together. After we eat it doesn't take long before everyone finds a corner of the house to set up a board game to play, color a picture, or just sit and visit.



A tradition we started this year came about unexpectedly.

Last year, like any new parents, we thought it would be fun to get a picture of our little girl sitting on Santa's lap. 

Here we are waiting in line to see Santa. Notice how happy she is?


And here she is with Santa {not even sitting on his lap, I might add, because she was terrified of him.}

 
We thought this year might be better so we went and stood in line again. I don't have any pictures but I can tell you that things went very much the same. I even talked him up as we stood in line and tried to prepare her to see him. She was excited at first but as we got closer to the door I could actually feel her tensing up. By the time we got inside she was whimpering with her head on my shoulder and wouldn't even look at him.

Some may think that's just how it goes, that they'll grow out of it and that it's even kind of funny. And you know, I used to look at these kinds of pictures myself and laugh. But the more I got thinking about it and the more I look at my poor baby's face in that picture, the more I'm kind of ashamed of myself. I don't want her going to strangers any other time of the year so why confuse her by telling her that it's okay this time just because it's Christmas. I know she gets nervous around people with hats on and when she saw people in masks during Halloween she about lost it.

After talking to Richard about how I was feeling, we decided that we needed to change our tradition, at least until our kids are old enough to understand who Santa is and have a desire to go sit on his lap. Instead of sitting on Santa's lap they're going to get to sit on Grandpa's lap.









No tears = success! Besides, Grandpa's give way better candy!

We have some great family traditions that we've grown up with and I have loved being able to incorporate them along with starting some of our own with our girls. This was a unique Christmas where we were able to spend it with both sides of the family. We have felt so blessed to be surrounded by so many people we love during this Christmas season.


We are grateful for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, for His birth, His life and even more for His Atonement and Resurrection for each of us. May we all remember why we celebrate Christmas and allow the Savior to be a part of our lives more this coming year.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

  1. I love the Grandpa's lap pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a memorable Christmas! Love hearing about everyone's traditions. And now Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment