Bowling on a Dime
Make that Bowling Costumes for under $15!
I love dressing up for Halloween and when we found we had a new baby coming this fall, I knew exactly what our theme should be for our costumes...bowling! It would be perfect--everything centered around my growing bowling ball!
I love dressing up for Halloween and when we found we had a new baby coming this fall, I knew exactly what our theme should be for our costumes...bowling! It would be perfect--everything centered around my growing bowling ball!
Olivia--Bowling Pin
Wearing an old white hoodie, turtleneck onesie, a dress from D.I., red ribbon, elastic and lots of safety pins, Olivia made one darn, cute little bowling pin!
This was a completely no-sew project, mainly because I don't like to sew. Also, I wanted to re-use the clothes for future costumes.
I cut a little hole in the bottom hem of the dress, stuck the elastic to a safety pin and fished it thru.
The elastic instantly changed it from looking just like an ordinary dress to looking more bulbous like a bowling pin should.
Richard--Bowling Lane
Richard was the obvious choice for a good, long bowling lane! I bought swim noodles at the end of the summer and they served as bumpers. The lane itself was made out of poster board. The basic idea was easy but in the end, his was the hardest to put together. I guess the hardest part was figuring out how to make it look like a lane and not just plain white paper with some shapes drawn on it. That's where our shed came in and a good old fashioned crayon rubbing.
I drew on the arrows and finishing touches and then we stapled the posters together and fastened the bumper pads to the posters using duct tape.
For an added flare, Richard thought of wearing his head lamp so we could be cosmic/laser bowling!
Alice--Bowler
Baby Bump--Bowling Ball
Baby Bump--Bowling Ball
I went to D.I. so many times and never thought I would actually find a bowling shirt, but I did! A genuine bowling shirt with Storm embroidered on the front! It's a Men's XL and completely drowns me, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, right? I also found at D.I. a child's black witch costume for $1 and used a mixing bowl to trace a circle and cut it out. Cinch! Then I cut three circles out of card stock the size of a quarter and pinned them in place.
{Ironically, an app we have that tells us the size and specs of our growing baby said that around 37 weeks (this very week of Halloween) the baby will be the size of a bowling ball}
Some bowling shoes would have been cool, but I never did end up finding any. My tennis shoes worked just fine, though.
Let the real fun begin!
Let the real fun begin!
Trick-or-Treating
We taught Olivia how to say 'trick or treat' and she did a good job saying it at each of the houses. But then she would turn and start to walk away before getting any candy. We still have some training to do.
Not too shabby, eh!?
Olivia's Spoils
After devouring a Domino's pizza, we enjoyed a few candy bars and settled in for Monster's University, which we hadn't seen yet. So good, btw!
This has been one of our favorite Halloweens yet! But with this family, we can't help it! Things just keep getting better!!
Very cute. Happy Halloween!
ReplyDeleteLove it, Al! you guys are always so creative!
ReplyDeleteWow, you are amazing! Such a fun idea. Love you!
ReplyDelete