Practice makes Priceless

I don't have a picture so I'll try to paint one instead. I teach elementary P.E. and had one of the neatest experiences today. For the last few weeks I've been preparing my 4th and 5th graders to compete in a pentathlon. We started working on the High Jump this week. For those who are unfamiliar, the High Jump consists of running and jumping over a bar that is set at a particular height and then landing on a mat. The bar is then moved higher and higher and participants compete to see who can jump the highest without knocking over the bar.

On Monday, a fourth grade boy was having serious difficulty getting over the bar and using the technique I had taught him. He kept wanting to do sort of a dive or knee-first jump. He would knock over the bar every time and on his first jump many of the students laughed at him. I quickly reminded them that we never laugh at others who are trying their best and then asked him if he wanted to try again. He was pretty frustrated and told me no. Time and time again he just wasn't getting it, no matter what I said to him. After class I pulled him aside and told him that I hate doing new things in front of people when they're all watching and that he might be feeling the same way. I asked him if he wanted to practice a couple times while no one was around. He said yes. As his class left, I showed him again how I wanted him to do it, then he tried. Then I would go again and then he would. With each attempt he knocked over the bar but he had the right form this time and was starting to get it.

Today I had the same group of kids and I put the bar at the level where we left off from Monday. With each student's jump we got closer to this student and I was just hoping that he could do it. Finally it was his turn. He started to run, turned his back to the bar, jumped...and he made it! The bar wobbled but didn't fall. He got up from the mat and instantly wore a very proud grin. I gave him a high five and the whole class cheered and applauded him as he got back in line. It was spectacular. This is why I do what I do. For the small teaching moments like these that truly make all the difference in a child's confidence and self-esteem.

Comments

  1. You are so very awesome. What a woman . . . what a teacher . . . what a marvel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlie, what a joy it has been to watch you grow from babe to glorious womanhood! I love you lots, and we NEED GAMEAGE! Seriously, find some little spot in your November and we'll be there, or wherever...CJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment