Corn and Bacon Chowder
I had no idea what to make for dinner tonight and needed something quick and easy. So I went to pinterest and found this.
Ingredients
2 bacon slices1/2 cup refrigerated prechopped celery, onion, and bell pepper mix
2 (16-ounce) packages frozen baby gold and white corn, thawed and divided
2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (such as Cracker Barrel)
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Preparation
1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble and set aside. Add celery mixture and 1 package corn to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Place remaining 1 package corn and 1 cup milk in a blender, and process until smooth. Add pureed mixture to vegetables in pan; stir in remaining 1 cup milk, salt, black pepper, and cheese. Cook over medium heat (do not boil), stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Ladle chowder into bowls. Top each serving evenly with reserved crumbled bacon. Sprinkle with additional black pepper, if desired.
I used canned corn instead of frozen and it seemed to work just fine and then I also added zucchini and carrots which added a lot of color and flavor!
I served this with corn bread because that's what I had, but it was a little much with all the corn going on. It would have been perfect with some cheddar biscuits.
Here's a recipe I've been wanting to try for Cheddar Muffins
Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, with a fork, combine the dry ingredients.
- Melt the butter and cool it slightly.
- Stir in the milk, then beat in the egg.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Divide the batter into the muffin pans.
- Bake for 15-20 min.

Comments
Post a Comment